Niagara Falls is undoubtedly one of the most incredible sights in the world. Sprawling across the borders of Ontario, Canada, and New York, USA, this wonder is famous for its mesmerizing waterfalls and jaw-dropping scenery. But, for the adventure lovers and cycling enthusiasts, the magic of the Falls extends beyond the cascade, with numerous stunning bike trails ready to be explored.
On both the US and Canada side of the border, the Niagara area is interlaced with an extensive network of well-paved cycling routes. Not only will you get to marvel at the majestic Falls from various angles, but you'll also get to pedal your way through lush parks, historic sites, charming small towns, and local vineyards. Ready to experience the beauty of Niagara Falls on two wheels? Here are some of the best cycling trails around the Falls.
1. Niagara River Recreation Trail: Stretching over 56km on the Ontario side, this well-paved path offers scenic views of the Niagara River and takes you through numerous local attractions like Queenston Heights Park, Laura Secord Homestead, and the Niagara-on-the-Lake village.
2. The Greater Niagara Circle Route: A remarkable trail spanning about 140 km around the entire Niagara region on the Canadian side. This route encompasses the Welland Canal Parkway, the Waterfront Trail, and the Friendship Trail, with the stunning landscapes of the Niagara escarpment serving as the backdrop.
3. The Erie Canalway Trail: Situated on the New York side of the border, this route spans a whopping 360 miles from Buffalo to Albany. While this is a longer journey, cyclists are rewarded with historic sites, canal-side communities, and beautiful countryside views.
4. Goat Island Bike Path: Located in Niagara Falls State Park in New York, this looped trail gives you an up-close and personal experience of the American Falls and the stunning surrounding natural scenery.
5. The Ontario Wine Route: This is a special trail for wine lovers. Cycle through over 130 wineries nestled within Niagara's fertile landscapes and get the chance to stop and sample some of Canada's best wines.
Whether you are an experienced cyclist or a beginner, Niagara's bike trails are suitable for all levels. Be it the excitement of exploring picturesque landscapes, learning about historical sites, savoring delightful local cuisine, or sipping wine at beautiful vineyards - cycling in Niagara is truly an unforgettable experience.
Remember, though the falls are stunning all year round, the best time to cycle around Niagara Falls is from May to October, when the weather is most conducive. Always prioritize your safety when biking - wear a helmet, carry a first aid kit, keep yourself hydrated and respect the traffic laws.
Cycling is undoubtedly one of the most thrilling ways to explore Niagara. So next time you find yourself in this iconic region, rent a bike, put on your helmet, and set out to explore the diverse beauty that this magnificent destination has to offer.