top of page

Passport or Enhanced Driver's License: Which do you need to cross the USA-Canadian border?

To cross the border, you typically need one of the following identification documents:

Rainbow Bridge from USA to CANADA

1. Passport:

A valid passport is the most commonly accepted form of identification for crossing international borders.

2. Enhanced Driver's License (EDL):

Some countries, including the United States, offer enhanced driver's licenses that can be used in place of a passport for land and sea travel between certain countries.

3. NEXUS Card:

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the United States and have been approved for the NEXUS program, you can use your NEXUS card to cross the border more quickly and easily.

4. Trusted Traveler Program Cards:

If you are a member of a trusted traveler program, such as Global Entry or SENTRI, you can use your program-specific card for expedited border crossings.

It's important to note that the specific identification requirements may vary depending on the country you are traveling to and your citizenship. It's always a good idea to check the official government websites or contact the appropriate authorities to ensure you have the correct identification for crossing the border.

For current information:


bottom of page