Niagara Falls is not just about its thundering, cascading waters; it's also a fantastic location for an entertaining family holiday. There are myriad activities for the entire family, catering to all age groups. Here's a comprehensive guide to help you plan your Niagara Falls vacation on both the American and Canadian side of the border, brimming with fun-filled and educational experiences for your children.
1. Niagara City Cruises: One of the most thrilling ways to experience the falls, this cruise offers breathtaking views of Niagara Falls from a boat's lower and upper decks. For the adventurous family, there's an evening cruise with illuminations that make the waterfalls even more magnificent. Don’t forget to grab the free poncho; you will get wet!
2. Clifton Hill - The Street of Fun: This place is a hub for family-friendly attractions. Ride on the giant Ferris wheel for a panoramic view of the falls, explore the mysteries of the Great Canadian Midway, experience 3D/4D movies at Movieland Wax Museum, or enjoy a game of miniature golf. You could also visit the Ripley's Believe it or Not! museum or the Niagara SkyWheel for an enchanting aerial view of the Falls.
3. Butterfly Conservatory: Home to more than 2000 butterflies, this tropical paradise offers your children a unique opportunity to witness these creatures up close. The conservatory also educates children about different types of butterflies, their life cycle, and importance in nature. It's not only a mesmerizing but also an enlightening experience.
4. Bird Kingdom: Just a few minutes from the Falls, the world's largest free-flying indoor aviary is home to an impressive collection of birds, reptiles, and other animals. Allow your kids to interact with colorful birds and exotic creatures and even feed the lorikeets.
5. Fallsview Indoor Waterpark: This water park is a great escape for families to beat the summer heat. The three-acre park includes a mammoth wave pool, sixteen waterslides, a giant water tipping bucket, an outdoor sun deck, and private cabanas. The water park guarantees a day of aquatic fun regardless of the weather.
6. Niagara's Fury: Experience the creation of Niagara Falls in this immersive, 4-Dimensional adventure. Watch as the story unfolds on a 360-degree screen with sensory effects like wind, water, and even snow.
7. Whirlpool Aero Car: Designed by a Spanish engineer, the Aero Car has been in operation since 1916. The thrilling ride across the Niagara Whirlpool gives an impressive and different perspective of the falls.
8. Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens & Floral Showhouse: Get lost in 40 hectares of beautifully maintained gardens, or be mesmerized by the vibrant and rare flowers in the Floral Showhouse. This is a perfect retreat for a relaxing family walk.
9. Go Karting: At Niagara Speedway, you and your family can feel the thrill of the elevated spiral tracks - a road-course styled go-karting track. The track combines the speed of racing with the excitement of roller coasters.
10. Maid of the Mist: Since its maiden voyage in 1846, the world-famous Maid of the Mist has been thrilling riders of all ages by taking its passengers right near the cascading water, and thunderous roar, of the falls.
11. Cave of the Winds: Short of going over the falls in a barrel there are fewer places closer to the action than the series of walkways beneath the Bridal Veil Falls.
Located on Goat Island, this journey begins with an elevator ride 175 feet down into the Niagara Gorge. A network of walkways and stairs leads to the hurricane deck, very close to the spray of the Bridal Veil Falls.
12. Aquarium of Niagara: Home to more than 1,500 aquatic animals, and representing ecosystems ranging from the Great Lakes to coral reefs, the Aquarium of Niagara is an essential stop for visitors and local residents.
These activities make Niagara Falls a fantastic family-friendly vacation destination. Aside from enjoying the magnificent beauty of the Falls, you can make some delightful memories by trying out these entertaining family activities.